The City of Umatilla is accepting applications for an opening in the Public Works Department. This is a full time position with competitive pay and excellent benefits.
A fillable employment application is located on the city website. The completed application can be submitted at Umatilla City Hall, 1 S. Central Avenue, Umatilla, FL 32784 or by email to email@example.com.
Posted 10/14/2014 - Position open until filled
JOB TITLE : REPAIR & MAINTENANCE TECH II
DEPARTMENT : PUBLIC WORKS
Performs semi-skilled maintenance and construction tasks requiring advanced laboring knowledge acquired through
training or work experience to work in the Roads, Street, Storm Water and Solid Waste Division. This position involves
operating and maintaining heavy equipment. Routine tasks are performed with considerable independence and more
difficult work is performed under direct supervision.
EXAMPLES OF MACHINES, TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Hand tools such as shovels, rakes, hammers, saws, etc.; power tools such as chain saws, air hammers, circular saws, edger;
small equipment such as lawn mowers, sprayers, air compressors, wood chipper, steam cleaners, stump grinders, chippers;
operate and maintain heavy trucks, bucket trucks, tractor mowers, front end loaders, street sweepers, forklifts, etc.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED – Maintenance Supervisor
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Performs duties of Maintenance Worker I, which may include some or all of the following job functions:
- Mows, trims, weeds, waters and fertilizes city lands;
- Lays sod;
- Remove and trims trees;
- Repairs and maintain right of ways, streets, sidewalks, storm water drains, and road signs, etc.;
- Lays concrete;
- Performs building and facility maintenance and repairs including carpentry, painting, pressure cleaning, etc.;
- Cleans and clears sidewalks;
- Picks up and disposes of trash
- Picks up household and commercial solid waste
- Operates, inspects and maintains heavy equipment;
- Prepares daily worksheets, etc.;
- Trains subordinates;
- Makes minor repairs to equipment and tools;
- Performs various duties, as assigned, associated with special events scheduled by the City;
- After training, when directed and under supervision, may perform more complex duties related to operating,
maintaining and repairing heavy mechanical equipment;
- Assists in the preparation for and aftermath of a major emergency such as a hurricane or other storm or disaster;
- Works on-call rotation, works as needed during emergency situations such as hurricanes, severe weather, etc.
- Performs other related duties, as required.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills - Knowledge of the operational characteristics of assigned tools, equipment and materials;
knowledge of safe driving techniques and related occupational hazards.
Ability to carry out assignments with minimum instructions; ability to adhere to prescribed routines and practices; ability to read;
ability to drive and operate assigned equipment; ability to detect improper functioning of mechanical systems and make minor
adjustments; ability to work with the public in a tactful and courteous manner; ability to work on-call rotation and if
required, nights, weekends and holidays;
Physical Demands - This is heavy physical work most of the working time. Requires frequent walking; frequent standing,
climbing, stooping, reaching, bending, lifting 50+ pounds, carrying/pushing/pulling 50+ pounds; good finger/hand dexterity
and hand/eye coordination; good eyesight; hearing and speech or vocal communication (for safety); working in adverse
environmental conditions (heat, cold, rain etc.) for long periods of time; regular driving and operation of assigned equipment.
Minimum Qualifications – At least (2) year experience in laboring or maintenance work, including equipment operation experience. A demonstrated ability to read is a prerequisite for employment in this position. Valid Florida Class "B" Commercial Driver's License would be a plus. Special certifications in related field such as Flagger, Forklift, Trench Safety, Heavy Equipment, Herbicide/Pesticide License, etc. desirable.
Note: Job Descriptions are only intended to present a descriptive summary of the range of duties and responsibilities associated with specified positions. Therefore, specifications may not include all duties performed by individuals within a classification. In addition, specifications are intended to outline the minimum qualifications necessary for entry into the class and do not necessarily convey the qualifications of incumbents within the position.
The City of Umatilla is a drug free workplace and an equal opportunity provider and employer.